|History of Patritti Wines|
Giovanni Patritti was one of the early Italian immigrants to seek a new and brighter future in South Australia. Despite the heartache of leaving his large, winemaking family in the region of Piedmont, Giovanni felt compelled to embark on the risky yet exciting voyage to Adelaide and arrived in 1925.
He was quickly struck by the colony’s lack of fine table wine and the dominance of beer in Australian society. He observed the abundance of sunshine and fertile soils of the Adelaide Plains and the suitability for quality wine production and just one year after his arrival, Giovanni leased a little less than one hectare in Dover Gardens and planted vines. He soon employed fellow countryman Cristiano Bissacca and the men built a small winery and began trading to customers in Adelaide and Melbourne.
In the early 1960's urban expansion caused the Patritti family to purchase vineyards in the McLaren Vale region, an area that was and still is noted for its quality wine production.
Since then, the winery has grown steadily. Giovanni’s original ‘shed’ now houses a modern winery and business continues to thrive on this historical site. Today, second and third generation Patritti family members manage the only truly operational winery in Metropolitan Adelaide.
In keeping with market trends, the company now produces an extensive range of non-alcoholic fruit juices. These juices have become very popular overseas.